The draft Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine of 4 February 2021 No. 1206-IX on "Veterinary Medicine"" is developed in order to improve the current legislation in the field of animal health and welfare and remove inconsistencies with the legislation of the European Union.
The draft Law suggests the comprehensive regulation of the key issues related to:
1) ensuring animal welfare in terms of improving the procedure for financing veterinary and sanitary measures;
2) improvement of state veterinary and sanitary control (supervision) measures to ensure animal welfare and marketing of veterinary drugs;
3) production, marketing, registration and use of veterinary drugs;
4) issuance of accompanying veterinary documents and international veterinary certificates;
5) the activities of licensed veterinarians and veterinarians of licensed veterinary establishments;
6) alignment of licensing of business activities relating to veterinary practice, production of veterinary medicinal drugs, wholesale and retail sale of veterinary medicinal drugs, import of veterinary medicinal drugs with the requirements of the licensing legislation;
7) empowering the central executive body that implements the state policy in the field of veterinary medicine and animal welfare to approve:
− criteria, the compliance with which will give educational institutions as well as organisations (unions, associations) of the relevant field the opportunity to be authorised to train specialists on the issues of compliance with the requirements of the animal welfare legislation;
− training programmes for specialists on the issues of compliance with the requirements of the animal welfare legislation;
− the form of the certificate to be issued to confirm that the relevant persons have sufficient knowledge acquired as a result of the training;
8) authorisation of the central executive body that implements the state policy in the field of veterinary medicine and animal welfare to ensure the organisation of training for specialists on the issues of compliance with the requirements of the animal welfare legislation.